I’ve been kind of gelatin-crazy lately, love the texture, makes me want to play with my (jiggly-jiggly) food! My favorite of the week is listed below! Good thing it’s super healthy too, unless you add sugar, don’t add sugar. But seriously, especially for those of us who do not walk around with a giant buffalo-bone in our hair (which would allow us to chew and suck on it whenever we wanted, actually I do want a giant bone in my hair.) , or, you know, you just don’t feel like having broth. So, solution.. EAT MORE JELLO! Yay.
Benefits of Gelatin Consumption! Ahum, ahum:
- Good for your joints! (Because of the collagen) Which is good for everyone, obviously, but especially for us paleo/primal peepz who like to lift something heavy every once in a while.
- Helps you sleep! Gelatin consists mainly of the amino acids glycine & proline (sound like dumb names for twin girls) and the glycine aids in quality and efficacy of your sleepytime. Warm milk is for pussies. Oh, and, funnily enough, we’re talking night time sleep, so don’t be afraid to have this for breakfast ;).
- Good for hair, nails & teeth! Keratin is also a compound of Gelatin.
- Anti-Inflammatory! Thanks again to the glycine
- Source of Protein! Ca. 90% of dry weight is pure protein. On a side note: gelatin is not a source of complete protein, as it lacks essential amino acids (the ones our bodies cannot create for themselves)
Green Tea Jelly with Mint&Lime
Ingredients (serves 3):
- 5 gelatin leaves (or gelatin powder)
- 2.5-3 cups of green tea with (fresh) mint
- 1-2tbs sweetener of choice (I used Stevia)
- lime juice (about half a lime)
- soak the gelatin leaves in cold water for 5min (or follow the instructions on your packet)
- brew tea
- take the gelatin leaves out of the water and pat them dry or wring them out
- add the gelatin to the (hot) tea and stir in sweetener and lime juice
- pour into individual servings and refrigerate for 4 hours (or be impatient like me and throw them in the freezer for an hour, don’t forget them if you do though! frozen gelatin is really not that good.)
Feel free to spike them with some wodka for weirdly “healthy” jello shots ;) I won’t tell.